Table of Contents
1. Food Choices and Human Health.
Controversy 1: Sorting the Impostors From the Real Nutrition Experts.
2. Nutrition Tools—Standards and Guidelines.
Controversy 2: Phytochemicals and Functional Foods: What Do They Promise? What Do They Deliver?
3. The Remarkable Body.
Controversy 3: Alcohol and Nutrition: Do the Benefits Outweigh the Risks?
4. The Carbohydrates: Sugar, Starch, Glycogen, and Fiber.
Controversy 4: Are Carbohydrates "Bad" for Health?
5. The Lipids: Fats, Oils, Phospholipids, and Sterols.
Controversy 5: High-Fat Foods: Which to Choose for Good Health?
6. The Proteins and Amino Acids.
Controversy 6: Vegetarian and Meat-Containing Diets: What Are the Benefits and Pitfalls?
7. The Vitamins.
Controversy 7: Vitamin Supplements: Who Benefits?
8. Water and Minerals.
Controversy 8: Osteoporosis: Can Lifestyle Choices Reduce the Risks?
9. Energy Balance and Healthy Body Weight.
Controversy 9: The Perils of Eating Disorders.
10. Nutrients, Physical Activity, and the Body’s Responses.
Controversy 10: Erogogenic Aids: Breakthroughs, Gimmicks, or Dangers?
11. Diet and Health.
Controversy 11: Nutritional Genomics: Can It Deliver on Its Promises?
12. Food Safety and Food Technology.
Controversy 12: Organic Foods and Genetically Modified Foods: What Are the Pros and Cons?
13. Life Cycle Nutrition: Mother and Infant.
Controversy 13: Childhood Obesity and Early Chronic Diseases.
14. Child, Teen, and Older Adult.
Controversy 14: Nutrient-Drug Interactions: Who Should Be Concerned?
15. Hunger and Global Environment.
Controversy 15: Agribusiness and Food Production: How to Go Forward.
Appendix A: Table of Food Composition.
Appendix B: Canadian: Recommendations, Choice Systems, and Labels.
Appendix C: Aids to Calculation.
Appendix D: U.S. Food Exchange System.
Appendix E: Nutrition Resources.
Appendix F: Reference Notes.
Appendix G: Answers to Self-Check Questions.
Appendix H: Physical Activity and Energy Requirements.
Post-Secondary School customers can find valuable information on pricing, previous editions and alternate formats by visiting www.cengage.com/highered
and searching by ISBN #, author, title, or keyword for materials in your areas of interest. School customers can find additional information on our products by visiting www.cengage.com/school