The NALA Certified Paralegal Professional Scholarship Award is designed to recognize outstanding professional achievement and excellence in the legal field.
What is the scholarship?
As a proud partner with NALA, Cengage Learning will recognize and reward one professional paralegal who excels in his or her career, has demonstrated strong leadership potential through professional, business, community or educational activities, and plans to take the CP Exam.
The award recipient of the NALA Certified Paralegal Professional Scholarship Award will receive:
- Scholarship award certificate,
- Certified Paralegal Review Manual, published by Cengage Learning,
- CP Study Guide and Mock Examination, published by Cengage Learning,
- Application fee to be admitted to the Certified Paralegal program.*
The recipient of the Certified Paralegal Professional Scholarship Award may be recognized by Cengage Learning through a variety of means, including a news release, and during the NALA Annual Convention. The recipient will be responsible for all registration and travel expenses if he or she chooses to attend the NALA Annual Convention. Attendance at the NALA Annual Convention by the recipient is not mandatory to receive the award.
*Not to include retake fees, late fees, etc.
Who is eligible?
The nominee must:
- Be nominated by a member of a NALA Affiliated Association
a. The Affiliated Association must offer a CP Exam prep course.
b. Each Affiliated Association can only nominate ONE member.
- Meet the eligibility requirements for the Certified Paralegal examination as established by NALA and outlined on www.nala.org
- Be currently working as a paralegal at the time of both the nomination and receiving the scholarship award in a non-freelance and/or non-contractor position
- Have worked as a professional paralegal in a non-freelance/non-contractor position for at least the past 2 simultaneous years
- Take the exam within 9 months of receiving the scholarship award or else the scholarship is forfeited
- Another qualified professional reference is a required component of the nomination. A personal statement from the nominee is also part of the submission. Please NOTE: Nominators must fully complete the nomination form for a nominee to be considered for the award.
How does it work?
To recognize a paralegal who demonstrates excellence in his or her legal career and strong professional leadership, nominators are encouraged to nominate a worthy paralegal for the NALA Certified Paralegal Professional Scholarship Award via the link below or on the Cengage Learning paralegal community website.
Certified Paralegal Professional Scholarship Award nominations
must be completed online and submitted by May 3, 2013.
What are the guidelines?
- Scholarship award nomination forms must be fully completed and submitted online by May 3, 2013. (No deadline exceptions or extensions.)
- Notification of the scholarship award recipient will be made by May 31, 2013.
- An award selection committee consisting of paralegal educators and professionals will use a rating sheet to evaluate each scholarship nomination based on the following criteria: references, achievements, experience, leadership, and professional goals.
- All award selection committee decisions are final.
- References and credentials for the selected scholarship candidate will be verified before final selection.
- The recipient of the Certified Paralegal Professional Scholarship Award will be recognized via various channels and at the NALA Annual Convention. The recipient will be responsible for all registration and travel expenses if he or she attends the NALA Annual Convention. Attendance at the NALA Annual Convention by the recipient is not mandatory to receive recognition.
- Photographs are not allowed. No other materials will be accepted.
- Cengage Learning is not responsible for any losses or expenses incurred by the professional if he or she does not meet the eligibility requirements as established by NALA to be admitted to the Certified Paralegal program.
What CP exam resources are available?
Cengage Learning offers several valuable resources to help students prepare to pass the Certified Paralegal examination. They are:
Certified Paralegal Review Manual: A Practical Guide to CP Exam Preparation, 3rd Ed.
by Koerselman Newman | Copyright 2011
CLA/CP Study Guide and Mock Examination, 4th Ed.
by NALA | Copyright 2009
NALA Manual for Paralegals & Legal Assistants: A General Skills and Litigation Guide for Today's Professionals, 5th Ed.
by NALA | Copyright 2010
A complete list of paralegal education resources available from Cengage Learning can be found at www.cengage.com/paralegal.